When we went to bed last night, it was clear and the stars were bright. So, you can imagine our surprise when, at 4am, we heard rain drops hitting the ground around us. We hadn’t put on the rain fly, but we were under a tree that was blocking the rain. We decided to go back to sleep and pack up if we started getting wet. Well, that started happening at 6am, but we probably should have been up by the anyway. We packed up as the light rain turned to heavy rain and then into a thunderstorm. While we hid out under the trailhead kiosk, Pinecone, Windsong, and Far Out decided to hitch into the closest town, Mazama. It was very tempting to try to wait out the rain, but we had a plane to catch in five days. We waited under the kiosk until the heavy rain turned back into light rain and hiked on. As we hiked up towards Cutthroat Pass, we watched the clouds creeping up and by the time we reached the top, we were in a downpour. By lunch, though, the clouds had cleared out and it turned into a beautiful day. We were making our dinner at a creek a few miles before our camp (so we didn’t have to carry the extra water to camp) when Timex and Chaos passed us. They had resupplied in Winthrop and got a real weather forecast. It wasn’t good news. Starting tomorrow night and into the next day, it is supposed to rain 1-2″. Looks like we aren’t going to have a nice leisurely last couple of days on the trail like we had hoped. Nothing is going to stop us from getting to that monument, though.
The Optimist









Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *